1.A Which theory of language origin is developed by Wilhelm Wundt and Sir Richard Paget?
2. The ________ theory suggests that speech originates from man‟s attempt to imitate the characteristic sound of the creature/object he is referring to
3. Which theory holds that man‟s earliest speech was produced by an attempt to imitate the sounds of creatures or objects he was referring?
4. What is the other name for Primitive Germanic?
5. Which of the four dialects became the most dominant in the Old English period?
6.Which English king ruled in 1500 A.D.?
8.When did Great Vowel shift take place in England?
9.Who coined the words „Great Vowel shift‟?
10.When did William Caxton introduce printing press in England?
11.How many major dialects were obminant in England, during the introduction of printing press in England?
12.Which among the dialects of Modern English was not the one spoken during Caxton‟s title?
13.Which among the following is not one of the East Midland dialects?
14.How many scholars compiled the King James Bible?
15. The four chief aspects of any language are –
16. The Authorised Version/ King James Version of the Bible came out in
17. The modern grammatical system had come into existence by the end of the ____ century.
18. The Norman Conquest of England was in the year
19. Which dialect became the standard of Old English?
20. The Scandinavians and Norsemen who settled in England spoke what language?
21. After the Norman Conquest, which language became the language of courts and government?
22. In which method are the words „helpmate‟, preposterous‟ premises formed?
23. which word means „Mary Magdalene‟?
24. Morpheme is the minimal unit
25. Zero has no representation.
26. What is „the alternative phonological manifestation of a morpheme”?
27. /z/, /s/, /iz/ are the allomorphs of ……………
28. The plurals and the past tens of such words as come mioet, went, took are called …….
29. What are noun, verb, adjective and adverb called?
30.How many types are bound morphemes?
31. How many types the suffix?
32.How many types are derivational morphemes?
33. What is „a word consists of one free root morpheme‟?
34. What are the morphemes such as „-hood, -ship‟ called?
35. What are the morphemes such as „-er , ish, -ment, -al‟ called?
36. The study of is called morphophonolgy.
37. Who was the famous Old English writer who wrote Canterbury Tales?
38. What was said to be the theory that came from automatic human responses to pain, fear, surprise, laugh etc
39. Which dialect attained prominence during the middle English period
40. Language is a social phenomenon
42. Anglo-Saxon is otherwise called as
43. Renaissance reached England about the year
44. From which root is the word „syntax‟ derived?
45. What is „the joining of elements with other similar elements‟?
46. What is called a contract or trade language?
47. What is called „the written form of pidgin‟?
48. Phonemic transcription is also called
49. The correct placement of stress in the words conduct (N), conduct (V) and conflict (N), conflict (V) are
50. The phonemic transcriptions of „colour‟, „water‟ and „singer‟ are
51. The correct transcription for the word „rejoice‟ would be
52. When words with the same stem do not keep the primary stress on the same syllable, it is known as
53. When the word „accent‟ is accented on the second syllable, it is a
54. Who among the following said that language is arbitrary?
55. Who said, “Language is a purely human and non-unistinctive method of communication ideas, emotions and desires by means of a system of volunterfily produced symbols”.
56. Who said, “A language is a set of (finite or infinite) in length and constructed out of a finite set of elements”
57. Who said, “Language is a kind, if mean s of communication among human beings. It consists of vocal sounds. It is articulatery, systematic, sympholic and arbitary”
58. Who said, “Linguistic its concerned with human language as the universal and recognizable part of the human behavior and of the human faculties”
59.Who said, “The study of language is a science”
60. The Roman settlement in England brought with it what religion that continued to have long influence on the English language?
61. Which of these words is based on the phenomena, „Onomatopoeia‟?
62. Which of these people receives language as a means to interpret human experience?
63. Before the term „slang' came to general use, such type of language was called
64. Which of these is the study of meaning of word, and the development of the meaning of words
65. When part of one word is combined with part of another in order to form a new word, it is called
66. When a new meaning is given to an old word, with the old word meaning remaining intact, it is called
67.Who said, “The study of language is a science”
68.What is meant by „empirical‟?
69.Which approach is against empirical approach of linguistics?
70.Adjectives in all degrees of comparison have the accent in the
71. The quality of sounds that makes it possible to judge their “highness” or “lowness” is
72. The word subject with a stress on the first syllable is a/an
73. Who said that language is the result of competence and performance?
74. What is the study of sounds of a particular language?
75. What is the study of sounds in general?
76. A word which is formed in imitation of the sound it makes is called
77. The ancient method of word formation, which can be found in almost any language is:
78. Formation of a new word when one part of one word is combined with part of another is called:
79. The word „box‟ is an example of:
80. The real meaning of the word „traffic‟ is:
81. The word „Christian‟ was originally a term of :
82. One of the most influential factors for the emergence of Standard English is:
83. Who wrote the ancient grammar text in Sanskrit Astadhyayi?
84. Who did the studies on speech in 7th century A.D.?
85.Who among the following took interest in organs of speech and defined vowels and consonants, especially plosives?
86.Who published a book “The Discovery of the Art of Teaching and Learning the English Tongue”?
87. _______ of the English language distinguish three main stages in its development
88. The Indo-European language was spoken around the area of
89. The original language of Britain was
90. The most important dialect during the Old English period was:
91. The Latin influence in Old English period was mainly due to:
92. The Norman Conquest of England began with the rule of:
93. In 1453, _____________ , the seat of European learning fell to the Turks.
94. Who classified all the sounds in book „Visible Speech‟?
95. Who produced a phonetic alphabet and the International Phonetic Alphabet in 1889?
96. What is a unit of sound?
97. Which is the study of the physical properties of speech sounds such as frequency and amplitude?
98. When did Acoustic phonetics develop?
99. The formation of the word „lunch‟ from the words „lump and hump‟ is an example of –
100. Euphemism refers to –
101. The correct expansion of the abbreviation A.D.
102. The correct expansion of the abbreviation C.E.
103. The correct expansion of the abbreviation ft
104. The correct expansion of the abbreviation ft²
105. The correct expansion of the abbreviation kg
106. The correct expansion of the abbreviation CBI
107. The correct expansion of the abbreviation UN
108. The correct expansion of the abbreviation EC
109. The correct expansion of the abbreviation EU
110. The correct expansion of the abbreviation Mrs.
111. The correct expansion of the abbreviation Prof.
112. The correct expansion of the abbreviation Jr.
113. The correct expansion of the abbreviation Mr.
114. The correct expansion of the abbreviation Rev.
115. The correct expansion of the abbreviation Pres.
116. The correct expansion of the abbreviation 4G
117. The correct expansion of the abbreviation CCTV
118. There is an aerial on the top of my house.
119. The farmers ploughed the field after a rainfall.
120. The manager sent a cheque for Rs.1000 for the job work.
121. Throw the waste papers into the dustbin.
122. I am watching a "MOVIE" in the Television, when you called me.
Choose the equivalent British English word for the given American English word.
123. Sam is a "TRUCK" driver.
124. Mahar likes "JELLY" very much.
125. "FRENCH FRIES" are made up of potatoes.
126. Regan resided in the "FIRST FLOOR".
127. Could you send him a reminder?
128.Smart phone does not make people smart.
129.She can’t finish all assignments in one day.
130.I had a terrific time yesterday.
131.He is studying in Canada.
132.Choose the correct spelling :
133.choose the correctly spelt word.
134. choose the correctly spelt word.
135.choose the correctly spelt word.
136 -140. Read the following passage carefully and answer the given questions Unemployment is an important index of economic slack and lost output, but it is much more than that. For the unemployed person, it is often a damaging affront to human dignity and sometimes a catastrophic blow to family life. Nor is this cost distributed in proportion to ability to bear it. It falls most heavily on the young, the semiskilled and unskilled, the black person, the older worker, and underemployed person in a low income rural area who is denied the option of securing more rewarding urban employment…. The concentrated incidence of unemployment among specific groups in the population means far greater costs to society that can be measured simply in hours of involuntary idleness or dollars of income lost. The extra costs include disruption of the careers of young people, increased juvenile delinquency, and perpetuation of conditions which breed racial discrimination in employment and otherwise deny equality of opportunity. There is another and more subtle cost. The social and economic strains of prolonged under-utilization create strong pressures for cost-increasing solutions…. On the side of labor, prolonged high unemployment leads to “share-the-work” pressures for shorter hours, intensifies resistance to technological change and to rationalization of work rules. On the side of business, the weakness of markets leads to attempts to raise prices to cover high average overhead casts and to pressures for protection against foreign and domestic competition.
136. According to the passage, unemployment is an index of
137. While unemployment is damaging to many, it falls most heavily upon all except the
138. The cost to society of unemployment can be measured by all except
139. Serious unemployment leads labor groups to demand
140. According to the passage, a typical business reaction to a recession is to press for
141. Choose the clipped word for airplane”.
142.Choose the clipped word for “biology”.
143.Choose the clipped word for the word “cafeteria”.
144. Choose the clipped word for “champion”.
145.Choose the clipped word for “Chemistry”
146. Choose the correct syllabification for ‘rumour’.
147. Choose the correct syllabification for “scramble”.
148. Choose the correct syllabification for ‘torrent’.
149. Choose the correct syllabification for ‘water’.
150. The correct expansion of the abbreviation "St."